Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Potato Soup




It is still a little chilly out, so tonight we are trying a new potato soup recipe.  My husband refuses to eat anything without meat in it.  So I am cheating a little and putting some fresh cooked bacon on top with the cheese.  He really liked the soup last time I cooked it, but said it would be amazing if I put a little meat in there.  He is on his way home for dinner after a long day of driving a monster of a train, so I started peeling a few red potatoes.  He eats out so much that he really loves a home cooked meal and I love the feeling he gives me for a job well done.  It is a little something I can do to show him I care and want him to be happy and stress free when he is home in between trips.  I know I am a little  mushy tonight, but enjoy it.  It does not happen often!

 Well I started with a whole five pound bag of red potatoes to be exact. I am hoping that there will be plenty of left overs for tomorrow night since we have a very busy day with parent/teacher conferences, tax filing, doctors visit, baseball practice and a mandatory baseball meeting.  On top of that school is out.  Good thing Grandma does not have plans and my husband will be around to help me out. 

 I think the least I can do for them is make them something good to eat to repay them for helping me out on a busy day. I also like to help my mom and newly widowed grandmother out with dinner.  My mom is always on the go taking care of others (Her mom which is confined to bed, her aging dad, and her two brothers that are having a lot of health issues as well.)  She can never say no to anyone no matter how tired she is.  She is the most caring person I know and I do not know what I would do without her. I know I do not say it much since I am not too in touch with my emotions,except anger, but I really do love you Mother and would like to say thank you for all of your help and support for the past 31 years. I really love the late night phone calls while my husband is out of town.  I see it and I appreciate everything even when I am mean sometimes. Thanks for being my best friend and supporter over the years.

Ok, back to dinner. Before I started peeling my favorite red potatoes. I started a large pan of water to boil with two chicken bouillon cubes. Yes, I know I am obsessed with these square cubes of flavor.  I get all the flavor infused with the water (just enough to cover all of the chopped potatoes) then began to add my peeled potatoes.  Cook these for a while until the start to get a little tender.

Next, start adding the other flavors.  I usually start with a couple cans of cream of chicken, a small carton of heavy cream, some cubed up Velveeta. (I am trying my new favorite tonight, the white block of cheese)  I usually use almost a half of the big block of cheese, but you can add more or less if you like or hate cheese.

I love loads of onion added, especially since they are starting to pop up in the garden.  I add just a touch of garlic and black pepper.  Then pour on the salt since the potatoes seem to soak it up.  Keep stirring after adding any ingredient to keep from burning the bottom and to cream everything together.  Last I add a block of cream cheese.  Put the lid on and turn the heat down low. 

Once the cream cheese has mixed well, turn it off and plate it up with your favorite cheese on top.  I love a mix of Colby and Sharp Cheddar shredded followed by some crumbled up bacon and a few chives if you like them. I love this recipe because nothing has to be exact.  If you love cheese, use more. If not tone it down a little.  It will taste great either way.  If you love potatoes as much as I do.



  Here is your shopping list:

5 lbs back of your favorite potatoes
2 chicken cubes 
2 cans of cream of chicken
an average sized block of cream cheese
1 small carton of heavy whipping cream
1/2 of a large block of Velveeta (your choice of white, regular or spicy for a little kick)
salt to your taste
a dash of black pepper
onion to your taste
a dash of garlic (can also be left out)
chives

toppings:

6 slices of bacon
package of your favorite shredded  cheese
sour cream is great on top too

No comments:

Post a Comment