Saturday, March 23, 2013

Wisteria Seeds

 Wisteria after a trimming


 Seeds harvested from wisteria

Seeds planted


Last year I decided I wanted to save some of the wisteria seeds for future planting down by our creek and pond.  My mom harvested a lot of the seeds from her mature wisteria.  We dried the seeds out through the winter.  She had grown her huge wisteria from a cutting she had years ago.  She also gave a cutting to my grandmother a few years after she had planted her wisteria.  Both plants are now very large and have huge trunks.

Since I had seen the plant grow with ease from a cutting, I thought I would see what I could do with the seeds.  I started by soaking the seeds in warm water for around 24 hours to speed up the germination process.  I found a smaller pot to start them in, planning to transfer each on into it's own pot as they grow a few inches.  

After soaking them, I added some potting mix to the small pot.  I placed five seeds in one pot.  I have read about giving each seed it's own pot, (they are large seeds) but I do not think it is necessary until growth begins.  I added a thin layer over the seeds.  Just enough to lightly cover them.  

Last I placed a layer of plastic wrap over the top to keep the humidity higher for the seeds.  Now it is just a waiting game to see if they sprout.  I check daily to see if anything has made it's way through the soil since the plastic will need to be removed as soon as this happens.  

I can not wait for them to start growing.  They can be trained as trees or make amazing arches and are great climbing the side of your house.  I will update later on the time it takes them to sprout out.  It may take longer than usual since he have had a cold past few days, but I have kept them inside where it is warmer.

2 comments:

  1. i bought wisteria seeds online, none germinate. i wonder whether it will thrive in equator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first seed just sprouted out! Maybe you should try again with different seeds or I have seen a cutting grow well and flower sooner.

      Delete